Athabasca Landing Trail History

History

Image description

The Athabasca Landing Trail was built in 1876 by the Hudson's Bay Company to improve transportation between Edmonton and northern communities. The trail was 100 miles in distance and linked the North Saskatchewan River with the Mackenzie River system, giving it the nickname "The 100 Mile Portage."

In the late 1800s, the trail was Canada's busiest northern route and played an important role in the development of northern Alberta, the Yukon and the Northwest Territories. Fur traders, gold rush miners and settlers all followed the trail north, and stopping houses sprang up to accommodate their need for overnight accommodation, meals and stabling of animals.

With the development of railways and roads in this region, the trail became less used. Parts of the trail are still used as roads or recreational trails; others are overgrown or on private land.

Historic Highlights

Historic Map